Call the License Office at (816) 316-4835 during regular business hours for driver's or vehicles licenses, renewals, or renewals, and for Missouri State Identification cards.
Licensing a New Vehicle: Tax Clearance. New residents to Jackson County must obtain a "tax clearance" to obtain license plates for their vehicle. A tax clearance is a document which demonstrates that you have paid all taxes due on your vehicle to the appropriate jurisdiction. A tax clearance sets you up with an Individual Personal Property Tax account so that you receive future tax bills by mail.
If you are new to Jackson County you must register your vehicle(s) with the State of Missouri. You must obtain a clearance or waiver of taxes owed in Jackson County. You must prove you were a resident of another state or county on January 1 of the previous year by presenting one of the following:
- If you have moved from another county in Missouri you must bring a paid county personal property tax receipt from the previous calendar year. You must also bring the registration or title to your vehicle(s).
- Rent receipt for January 1 of the previous calendar year that must me made out to owner of the vehicle and show an out-of-state address.
- Utility bill for January 1 of the previous calendar year that must be in the name of the owner of the vehicle and show an out-of-state address.
- Out-of-state registration showing the vehicle was registered out of the state January 1 of the previous calendar year. (This may require two previous years of registrations).
- Credit card statement - No P.O. box addresses will be accepted.
- A copy of your bank statement -No P.O. box addresses will be accepted.
No driver's licenses will be accepted. If this is the first vehicle you have had in your name and you were living in Jackson County January 1 of the previous year, we only need to see the signed over title or application for title to the vehicle(s).