Municipal Office | 1200 Main Street | Monday - Friday | 8:00AM to 5:00PM

City of Grandview Applications and Permits

(Fee schedule subject to change. Please contact staff to verify fees. Last updated August 2018)

1) Building Permit Application

Building permits are required for any new roof covered structure over 30 square feet of floor area in size. For example, permits are required for the addition of sheds, garages or carports, patio and decks with or without covers, porches, room additions and basement finish projects, swimming pools, and some hot tubs. A building permit is not required for the installation of residential driveways, however, there are standards that need to be met and a Public Works Improvement Permit may be required.

All of the following need to be submitted with the application for a building permit:

  1. Three copies of a stake-out survey prepared by a licensed architect, engineer, or land surveyor are required. See site plan Standards below for specific requirements. 
  2. One set of building plans must be submitted. These plans must include the floor plans with all dimensions, wall sections, elevations, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, structural member materials (ceiling and floor joists, beams, and roof rafters) to include spacing, spans, sizes, grade, and species of lumber to be used. 
  3. A building permit application (see below) must be filled out and submitted with the stake-out survey and building plans mentioned above.

3) Development Services Application

Most applications require the applicant to complete the City’s Development Services Application, to attach all of the required information, and to pay the required fee. Staff encourages all applicants schedule a Pre-Application meeting prior to submitting a Development Services Application. These meetings may help identify necessary changes and/or avoid potential problems. Upon submitting, please note: staff will not accept applications that are incomplete, missing necessary attachments, or without including the appropriate fee(s). The Development Services Application is required for the following requests:

  • Comprehensive Plan Amendments
  • Ordinance Text Amendments
  • Rezonings
  • Conditional & Temporary Uses
  • Subdivisions (minor, lot adjustments, etc)
  • Variance
  • Appeals of Administrative Decisions
  • Vacation of Streets, Alleys, or Easements
  • Vacation of Streets, Alleys, or Easements

4) Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing & Sewer Permits

Residential MEP permits are typically issued over the counter in the Community Development Department in Grandview City Hall, 1200 Main Street, during regular business hours. Commercial and industrial permits require plans and a plan review. Please contact the Building Services Division of the Community Development Department at (816) 316-4825 for additional or specific requirements on your project.

5) Home Occupation Permit Application

Any occupation or profession conducted entirely within a dwelling unit by the inhabitants thereof which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the premises for dwelling purposes and does not change the residential character thereof. There are several hundred licensed home occupations in Grandview. A yearly home occupation permit is issued by the Community Development Department without charge. The permit verifies that the home occupation is permitted and that it will follow the performance standards in the zoning ordinance. In most cases a city occupation license will also be required, which includes an annual fee and monitoring for compliance with city and state requirements. If you have any questions, call (816) 316-4822. 


  • No change in outside appearance or signage 
  • No additional traffic, parking, sewerage or water use 
  • No outside storage 
  • No creation of hazard, nuisance, or electrical interference 
  • No employees other than self or family 
  • No more than 25% of floor area of dwelling used for business 
  • No deliveries of materials other than parcel post or similar parcel service vehicles 
  • No noise, vibration, smoke, odors, heat or glare 
  • Advertising limited to use of name, phone number, and post office box. 
  • Limit of one private commercial vehicle no greater than three-quarter ton capacity 

Click HERE for specific performance standards found under Section 31-25(B) of the city's Zoning Ordinance.

6) Occupational/Craftmen's (Business) License

To obtain a General Contractors/Business License or any other type of building contractors' license, the contractor must fill out an application and take it to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in City Hall. The contractor must also provide a Certificate of Insurance that names The City of Grandview as a Certificate holder and must show the limits of the general liability and if the contractor employs more than zero (0) employees the certificate must also show the worker's compensation coverage. The fiscal year for these licenses is from the 1st of July through the following 30th of June. For more information, call (816) 316-4844. 

To obtain an electrical, plumbing or heating and air conditioning contractors "Craftsmen's License", the contractor must comply with the requirements stated above plus the following:

  • The contractor must show that he/she is currently license in a jurisdiction that the City of Grandview recognizes as requiring an approved examination for the applicable craft, or the contractor must show that he/she has successfully passed an approved examination for the applicable craft.
  • The contractor must fill out an application for "Craftsmen's License" and take it to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in the Grandview City Hall on the form provided.
  • The fee for the "Craftsmen's License" is $50.00 per year, but it is pro rated from the 1st of July of each year. The fiscal year for these licenses is from the 1st of July through the following 30th of June.
  • Plumbing contractors must also pay a $100.00 cash bond. The bond is refundable upon closing of business activities in the City of Grandview and by submitting the original receipt to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in the Grandview City Hall.

7) Pre-Application Meeting Request Forms

The City’s Development Review Team regularly meets with potential applicants to review their plans and offer comments and suggestions. A pre-application conference may help an applicant to identify necessary changes and avoid potential problems. Applicants preparing applications for site plans, subdivisions, and planned development are particularly encouraged to schedule a pre-application conference, but all potential applicants are welcome to meet with the Review Team to discuss their plans.
All meetings are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please submit the proper request form and other documents by Friday at 12:00pm noon (official confirmation from the City Planner must be received) in order to make an appointment. The requested meeting will be held two (2) Tuesdays from the week submitted or seven (7) business days after the Friday deadline.


8) Sign and Banner Permits

Required for the installation of signs, banners and inflatable (balloon) type signs. Banners and inflatable type signs on commercial and industrial properties are allowed one at a time, 6 times per calendar year for a 30-day period each.







DISCLAIMER: the dollar ($) amount may be subject to change.  Please call Amy Cook at (816) 316-4817 to obtain a detailed list of our updated fee schedule. Thank you.

Building Division

Click HERE to download a PDF copy of fees associated with valuation.

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING  PERMITS $200.00 Plus .4% of Valuation
COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMITS $400.00 Plus .4% of Valuation 


Small accessory buildings, decks, porches, patio covers, car ports, gazebos, fences and above ground pools 

$50.00 annually (see "Occupational/Business License" above) 

RESIDENTIAL PLAN REVIEW Residential $75.00 Plus $.50 per $1,000.00 in Valuation
COMMERCIAL PLAN REVIEW   Commercial is 65% of Permit Fee

$55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation, then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 


$55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation, then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 

PLUMBING PERMIT $55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 
SHED, FENCE  $35.00
SEWER CONNECTION PERMIT $100.00 per Residential connection, $200.00 per Commercial connection 
SIGN PERMIT $50.00 minimum or $2.00 per square foot (whichever is greater)
SIGN FACE REPLACEMENT  $25.00 per face (must be an existing business)
RE/ROOF (residential) $70.00
RE/ROOF (non-residential) $400.00 + 0.4% x (times) construction value



Development Services

     A. Conditional Use $475+A 31-28
     B. Temporary Use $250 31-28
     C. Zoning Ordinance Amendment $475+A 31-28
     D. Planned District Review $475 31-28
 Historic Preservation Commission    
     A. Certificate of Appropriateness Application $150   31-25A
     B. Landmark Nomination  $475  31-25A
     C. Historic District Nomination  $475  31-25A
Platting/Subdividing (< 5 total lots)
     A. Preliminary Plat $40/acre (min. $475)


     B. Final Plat $20/acre (min. $275) 27-8(3)
          i. Minor Subdivisions $250 27-44(C)
          ii. Variance/Appeal to Zoning $475 31-28
Site Plan Review/Grading Permit $250 *A+B
     A.Tax Increment Financing Application
          i. Creation Per Code Section 2-49.1
          ii. Amendment Per Code Section 2-49.1
     A. Zoning Ordinance $15 31-28
     B. Zoning Map $7 31-28
     C. Comprehensive Plan $20 31-28
     D. Subdivision Regulations $2 31-28
     E. Prints (26"x 36") $7 31-28
     F. Prints (largest) $15 31-28
     G. Sign Ordinance $3 31-28
     H. Photocopy $0.50 31-28
     A. Street Name Change $450 27-93.1
     B. Comprehensive Plan Amendment $450 31-28
     C. Oil Well Permit $25 31-28
 "A" = if site is more than 5 acres, add $10.00 per acre     
 "B" = if fourth (4th) submission or more is needed, add $50.00 per submission    



Neighborhood Services

 ANIMAL IMPOUND $60.00 (held at Wayside Waifs) 

$30.00 per day up to 5 days, or

up to 10 days if the owner is known

 OWNER SURRENDER $50.00 (cat or dog)
 LITTER SURRENDER $75.00 (puppies or kittens must be under 5 months old)


To release a pet back to the owner after being impounded, the owner must provide the following:

  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of valid Rabies Vaccination Certificate (if one cannot be provided, Wayside Waifs can administer the vaccination for a fee of $15.00; which is paid to Wayside Waifs)
"A" = if site is more than 5 acres, add $10.00 per acre 
Building Permit
Public Works Permits

New Shooting Range Opens to Police Training

Post Date:09/12/2019

Recent police training at the new shooting range has a lot of citizens asking questions. Below are answers to the most frequently asked questions.  

Why this location?

The zoning around the parkland of Grandview Ballpark is primarily light industrial with the nearest residential zone nearly a half-mile away. The current range has also been on this property for 30 years. The new shooting range was built on the same piece of property as the existing shooting range, moved just 200 feet to the north.

 zoning map


Who approved all of this?

Grandview voters approved the new range and its current location by approving the No-Tax Increase Bond Issue in 2014. City leadership had decided prior to the election to keep the range on the same property to create minimum negative impact to the few residents in the area. That information was shared with the citizens in 2014 prior to the election as you can see from the information materials below.

 2014 no tax increase bond issue

The first conceptual drawings publicly published and mailed to every Grandview address in 2014 showed the new shooting range on the lower ballfield location at Grandview Ballpark. The measure was approved in a public vote. Here is the exact language as it appeared on the August 2014 ballot:

 ballot language
Throughout planning and construction of the new shooting range, Grandview Police Department talked with many residents who live nearby. We took many phone calls, exchanged emails, held multiple meetings, one with the shooting range designer, and even toured the range with neighbors to keep them informed about the process and progress.


What are you going to do about the noise?

We incorporated many noise-mitigating factors into the new shooting range including: 12-inch thick 20-foot concrete walls at the ends of the range, 12-inch thick 10-foot walls along the sides of the range, shredded tires behind targets, choosing the lowest point for construction, and having it surrounded by a wooded area. In addition, the designer of the shooting range had suggested planting evergreens in the area between the nearest residential properties on Robinson Pike Road and the range. Vegetation is one of the best noise absorbers. The City has purchased and sourced $10,000 worth of evergreen vegetation to be planted. The planting process will start next week. However, it appears that may not be enough.

Once Grandview Police Department began training exercises at the new shooting range the week of September 10, we started receiving complaints from around the City. Public Works crews have taken noise measurements from different locations around Grandview. Until noise can be controlled to our satisfaction there will be no shooting after 8:00 p.m., rifle training will be conducted at the old shooting range, and there will be no open range day.


Why are officers shooting at night?

As part of their annual rifle training and certification. It’s a liability for the City of Grandview to not provide officers, primarily those who work at night, the proper training in low-light or night conditions. A 1979 ruling in Indiana decided firearms training for law enforcement had to be more reflective of the conditions officers face while working.

What’s going to happen when it opens the public?

The new range will not open to the public until the spring of 2020. The safety of everyone in the City of Grandview is paramount to City leaders and the shooting range will be a safe, controlled environment. Days and hours of operation for the public will be limited to 2-3 days a week during the day. Sworn Grandview Police Officers will always be present during public shooting hours. They will act as Shooting Range Officers to ensure everyone’s safety. No weapons with calibers equal to or greater than .50 BMG, will be allowed.*

What’s the next step?

Public works will compile the noise measurements taken from around the City and compare them to baseline measurements taken at the old shooting range. City leaders will review the data and consider if the noise is more than a nuisance and what we can do about it. 

Grandview PD Chief Charles Iseman has also contacted the designer of the shooting range and requested a conference call next week to discuss what other immediate measures we can implement quickly without breaking the bank to improve the noise resonating from the shooting range.


*CORRECTION 12/3/2019: ORIGINAL VERSION HAS BEEN EDITED TO CORRECT MISINFORMATION THAT READ: The caliber of the weapon is also capped at .50 BMG or 50 caliber.


Return to full list >>