Municipal Office | 1200 Main Street | Monday - Friday | 8:00AM to 5:00PM

City of Grandview Applications and Permits

(Fee schedule subject to change. Please contact staff to verify fees. Last updated August 2018)

1) Building Permit Application

Building permits are required for any new roof covered structure over 30 square feet of floor area in size. For example, permits are required for the addition of sheds, garages or carports, patio and decks with or without covers, porches, room additions and basement finish projects, swimming pools, and some hot tubs. A building permit is not required for the installation of residential driveways, however, there are standards that need to be met and a Public Works Improvement Permit may be required.

All of the following need to be submitted with the application for a building permit:

  1. Three copies of a stake-out survey prepared by a licensed architect, engineer, or land surveyor are required. See site plan Standards below for specific requirements. 
  2. One set of building plans must be submitted. These plans must include the floor plans with all dimensions, wall sections, elevations, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, structural member materials (ceiling and floor joists, beams, and roof rafters) to include spacing, spans, sizes, grade, and species of lumber to be used. 
  3. A building permit application (see below) must be filled out and submitted with the stake-out survey and building plans mentioned above.

3) Development Services Application

Most applications require the applicant to complete the City’s Development Services Application, to attach all of the required information, and to pay the required fee. Staff encourages all applicants schedule a Pre-Application meeting prior to submitting a Development Services Application. These meetings may help identify necessary changes and/or avoid potential problems. Upon submitting, please note: staff will not accept applications that are incomplete, missing necessary attachments, or without including the appropriate fee(s). The Development Services Application is required for the following requests:

  • Comprehensive Plan Amendments
  • Ordinance Text Amendments
  • Rezonings
  • Conditional & Temporary Uses
  • Subdivisions (minor, lot adjustments, etc)
  • Variance
  • Appeals of Administrative Decisions
  • Vacation of Streets, Alleys, or Easements
  • Vacation of Streets, Alleys, or Easements

4) Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing & Sewer Permits

Residential MEP permits are typically issued over the counter in the Community Development Department in Grandview City Hall, 1200 Main Street, during regular business hours. Commercial and industrial permits require plans and a plan review. Please contact the Building Services Division of the Community Development Department at (816) 316-4825 for additional or specific requirements on your project.

5) Home Occupation Permit Application

Any occupation or profession conducted entirely within a dwelling unit by the inhabitants thereof which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the premises for dwelling purposes and does not change the residential character thereof. There are several hundred licensed home occupations in Grandview. A yearly home occupation permit is issued by the Community Development Department without charge. The permit verifies that the home occupation is permitted and that it will follow the performance standards in the zoning ordinance. In most cases a city occupation license will also be required, which includes an annual fee and monitoring for compliance with city and state requirements. If you have any questions, call (816) 316-4822. 


  • No change in outside appearance or signage 
  • No additional traffic, parking, sewerage or water use 
  • No outside storage 
  • No creation of hazard, nuisance, or electrical interference 
  • No employees other than self or family 
  • No more than 25% of floor area of dwelling used for business 
  • No deliveries of materials other than parcel post or similar parcel service vehicles 
  • No noise, vibration, smoke, odors, heat or glare 
  • Advertising limited to use of name, phone number, and post office box. 
  • Limit of one private commercial vehicle no greater than three-quarter ton capacity 

Click HERE for specific performance standards found under Section 31-25(B) of the city's Zoning Ordinance.

6) Occupational/Craftmen's (Business) License

To obtain a General Contractors/Business License or any other type of building contractors' license, the contractor must fill out an application and take it to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in City Hall. The contractor must also provide a Certificate of Insurance that names The City of Grandview as a Certificate holder and must show the limits of the general liability and if the contractor employs more than zero (0) employees the certificate must also show the worker's compensation coverage. The fiscal year for these licenses is from the 1st of July through the following 30th of June. For more information, call (816) 316-4844. 

To obtain an electrical, plumbing or heating and air conditioning contractors "Craftsmen's License", the contractor must comply with the requirements stated above plus the following:

  • The contractor must show that he/she is currently license in a jurisdiction that the City of Grandview recognizes as requiring an approved examination for the applicable craft, or the contractor must show that he/she has successfully passed an approved examination for the applicable craft.
  • The contractor must fill out an application for "Craftsmen's License" and take it to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in the Grandview City Hall on the form provided.
  • The fee for the "Craftsmen's License" is $50.00 per year, but it is pro rated from the 1st of July of each year. The fiscal year for these licenses is from the 1st of July through the following 30th of June.
  • Plumbing contractors must also pay a $100.00 cash bond. The bond is refundable upon closing of business activities in the City of Grandview and by submitting the original receipt to the Finance Department or the Community Development Department in the Grandview City Hall.

7) Pre-Application Meeting Request Forms

The City’s Development Review Team regularly meets with potential applicants to review their plans and offer comments and suggestions. A pre-application conference may help an applicant to identify necessary changes and avoid potential problems. Applicants preparing applications for site plans, subdivisions, and planned development are particularly encouraged to schedule a pre-application conference, but all potential applicants are welcome to meet with the Review Team to discuss their plans.
All meetings are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please submit the proper request form and other documents by Friday at 12:00pm noon (official confirmation from the City Planner must be received) in order to make an appointment. The requested meeting will be held two (2) Tuesdays from the week submitted or seven (7) business days after the Friday deadline.


8) Sign and Banner Permits

Required for the installation of signs, banners and inflatable (balloon) type signs. Banners and inflatable type signs on commercial and industrial properties are allowed one at a time, 6 times per calendar year for a 30-day period each.







DISCLAIMER: the dollar ($) amount may be subject to change.  Please call Amy Cook at (816) 316-4817 to obtain a detailed list of our updated fee schedule. Thank you.

Building Division

Click HERE to download a PDF copy of fees associated with valuation.

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING  PERMITS $200.00 Plus .4% of Valuation
COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMITS $400.00 Plus .4% of Valuation 


Small accessory buildings, decks, porches, patio covers, car ports, gazebos, fences and above ground pools 

$50.00 annually (see "Occupational/Business License" above) 

RESIDENTIAL PLAN REVIEW Residential $75.00 Plus $.50 per $1,000.00 in Valuation
COMMERCIAL PLAN REVIEW   Commercial is 65% of Permit Fee

$55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation, then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 


$55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation, then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 

PLUMBING PERMIT $55.00 Minimum Up To $2,000 in Valuation then $6.60 per $1,000 of Valuation thereafter. 
SHED, FENCE  $35.00
SEWER CONNECTION PERMIT $100.00 per Residential connection, $200.00 per Commercial connection 
SIGN PERMIT $50.00 minimum or $2.00 per square foot (whichever is greater)
SIGN FACE REPLACEMENT  $25.00 per face (must be an existing business)
RE/ROOF (residential) $70.00
RE/ROOF (non-residential) $400.00 + 0.4% x (times) construction value



Development Services

     A. Conditional Use $475+A 31-28
     B. Temporary Use $250 31-28
     C. Zoning Ordinance Amendment $475+A 31-28
     D. Planned District Review $475 31-28
 Historic Preservation Commission    
     A. Certificate of Appropriateness Application $150   31-25A
     B. Landmark Nomination  $475  31-25A
     C. Historic District Nomination  $475  31-25A
Platting/Subdividing (< 5 total lots)
     A. Preliminary Plat $40/acre (min. $475)


     B. Final Plat $20/acre (min. $275) 27-8(3)
          i. Minor Subdivisions $250 27-44(C)
          ii. Variance/Appeal to Zoning $475 31-28
Site Plan Review/Grading Permit $250 *A+B
     A.Tax Increment Financing Application
          i. Creation Per Code Section 2-49.1
          ii. Amendment Per Code Section 2-49.1
     A. Zoning Ordinance $15 31-28
     B. Zoning Map $7 31-28
     C. Comprehensive Plan $20 31-28
     D. Subdivision Regulations $2 31-28
     E. Prints (26"x 36") $7 31-28
     F. Prints (largest) $15 31-28
     G. Sign Ordinance $3 31-28
     H. Photocopy $0.50 31-28
     A. Street Name Change $450 27-93.1
     B. Comprehensive Plan Amendment $450 31-28
     C. Oil Well Permit $25 31-28
 "A" = if site is more than 5 acres, add $10.00 per acre     
 "B" = if fourth (4th) submission or more is needed, add $50.00 per submission    



Neighborhood Services

 ANIMAL IMPOUND $60.00 (held at Wayside Waifs) 

$30.00 per day up to 5 days, or

up to 10 days if the owner is known

 OWNER SURRENDER $50.00 (cat or dog)
 LITTER SURRENDER $75.00 (puppies or kittens must be under 5 months old)


To release a pet back to the owner after being impounded, the owner must provide the following:

  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of valid Rabies Vaccination Certificate (if one cannot be provided, Wayside Waifs can administer the vaccination for a fee of $15.00; which is paid to Wayside Waifs)
"A" = if site is more than 5 acres, add $10.00 per acre 
Building Permit
Public Works Permits

2020 State of the City Address:

2020 Vision
Post Date:01/23/2020 7:00 PM

Below is the 2020 State of the City Address as delivered by Mayor Leonard Jones on Thursday, January 23 at 6PM at The View.

"Thank you to the Board of Aldermen for hosting my State of the City address. Serving as Grandview Mayor is truly an honor, and I have the privilege of working with a thoughtful group of people. The Board of Aldermen care deeply about Grandview and make their decisions always with the City and its citizens in mind.

Representing Ward 1 for Grandview are:

    • Alderman Sandy Kessinger
    • Alderman Damon Randolph

 Representing Ward 2: 

    • Alderman Annette Turnbaugh
    • Alderman Dan Hartman

Representing Ward 3

    • Alderman Jim Crain
    • Alderman John Maloney

This is your Grandview Board of Aldermen. 

It’s a new decade and Grandview is marching into 2020 with a list of substantial accomplishments:

  • Nearly $30 million dollars worth of major infrastructure improvements since 2010
  • Almost $18 million in federal and state grants maximized every taxpayer dollar toward more improvements
  • Thanks to voters, Grandview has $14.5 million worth of new City parks and facilities
  • Truman Corners is now a revitalized and renovated Truman’s Marketplace

 The Grandview of 2010 wouldn’t even recognize today’s Grandview. Citizens see our progress and know Grandview is a great place to live, work and play. They told us so in a citizen survey last year. But our citizens also told us something else: Grandview’s image needs to be better. Overcoming those perceptions is going to take all of us. From a City standpoint, we’ve been working to raise the City’s profile by:

  • Visiting lawmakers and State Department Directors in Jefferson City
  • Alderman Randolph now serves as co-chair on the First Suburbs Coalition
  • Grandview now has a seat on the County Board of Equalization
  • And in 2019 Grandview made good news—more than doubling the number of positive appearances in local newspapers and television stations compared to 2018.

We also need your help to show people this new Grandview. This is an opportunity to share your stories about starting or moving your business here; tell friends why you’re raising your family here and invite them to enjoy our beautiful parks, or take in a concert or movie at the Grandview amphitheater.

I want everyone to see Grandview clearly-- to look at Grandview with 2020 vision and see this City of diversity, accomplishment, and great resilience.



As you can see, Grandview is a place we are proud to call home.

Grandview is safe. In 2018, Grandview’s crime rate dropped by 12%. This year, Grandview Police Department worked hard to maintain that significant drop. The crime rate rose by 1%-- mostly due to minor theft and stolen autos left running and unattended. In response, officers will incorporate a new initiative this year called “PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN RESPONSE.” The hope is by educating everyone about crimes of opportunity we can work together to cut those crime numbers and watch our overall crime rate drop again. Our officers also work hard to stay visible in the business community. In 2019-- officers checked on Grandview businesses MORE THAN 26,000 times. These checks happen before, during and after business hours to ensure our businesses know we are looking out for them and their investment.

Grandview has great schools. Grandview C-4 School District is winning in prestigious academic competitions where our students are first time competitors, like Meadowmere Elementary’s first ever LEGO LEAGUE TEAM winning a regional qualifier. Now the School District is excited about the regional support from the Kauffman Foundation for its Pathway Model. This ensures every student who graduates has a plan beyond the diploma. This Pathway model will ensure every student is graduating with as many market value assets as possible whether that’s college credit, entrepreneurship opportunity, or a career. 

Grandview is growing. In 2019, we added 250 housing units and our population has steadily been rising over the past decade. As we get into 2020, it will be important for every citizen to participate in the 2020 census. Everyone needs to stand up and be counted. This official count can help the City earn more federal and state dollars and that translates into improved City services. 

Grandview is generous. Voters have a history of supporting ballot measures to benefit the City, most recently you supported a new Public Safety Sales Tax. We are so grateful for that. In April, the Transportation Sales Tax renewal will be on the ballot. These funds will help pay for a small portion of the I-49 Outer Roads Conversion Project, and helped us extend KCATA service into Grandview, but more importantly, these funds are critical to our ability to maintain Grandview streets. I’m asking you for your support of this renewal. 

Grandview is planning ahead. This year, we will be finalizing the Comprehensive Development Plan.  The Comprehensive Plan is based on the vision, values, and expectations of the community. Through a thorough public input process, the plan is developed, creating a framework for making important decisions while guiding Grandview’s growth and development for the next 10 years. This is a living document that grows and changes with the community. It provides a vision for the future of the community along with the steps that are needed to make that vision a reality.

Grandview is also kind. Consider our 2019 Civic Leadership Award winner Charlie Knight. He met his wife, Melissa, while stationed at Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base. Together, they chose Grandview as their home and raised their family. Now retired, Charlie donates hours of his time every week to Grandview Assistance Program and has led the food pantry for 18 years. He has personally trained hundreds of volunteers and spends countless hours helping GAP so it can help others. Thank you to Charlie, for giving back to the Grandview community by helping our neighbors.

Grandview is proud. While I have this very important stage, I want to remind everyone that Grandview is Chiefs Kingdom. Grandview High School graduate Xavier Williams is Super Bowl-bound with the Kansas City Chiefs. [SPACEBAR]  We are so excited to have Xavier representing Grandview on the field not just in Miami, but every Sunday. He's a man of great character and a true ambassador to Grandview.

As we move forward into 2020, I encourage our citizens and businesses to be Grandview ambassadors. Sign up for the Citizens Academy or serve on our Boards and Commission. I urge our neighbors to see Grandview clearly using 2020 vision. [SPACEBAR]  Grandview is a welcoming community with quality infrastructure and public services, thriving neighborhoods, strong public safety and an engaged community where everyone is welcome and we are always Building Tomorrow’s Community. God bless you and God bless Grandview and GO CHIEFS!


Return to full list >>