The preservation of this irreplaceable heritage is in the public interest so that its vital legacy of cultural, educational, aesthetic, inspirational, economic, and energy benefits will be maintained and enriched for future generations of Americans…
-National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
The City of Grandview has received a Historic Preservation Grant through the Department of Natural Resources’ Historic Preservation Office to conduct a re-survey of the original town plat of Grandview. The re-survey will ensure the City of Grandview has the most accurate information on identified historic buildings and their condition to help with planning and preservation efforts including identifying properties eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The original survey was conduct in 2003 by Historic Preservation Services, LLC. The first step in this re-survey will be a public meeting on Wednesday, December 13 4PM-6PM, with location still TBD. If you can't make the meeting, but still want to provide comments or input, you can do so here.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
The National Register of Historic Places is the country’s official list of historic properties including buildings, districts, sites and structures that are significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The U.S. Department of the Interior administers the National Register through the National Park Service, with the assistance of State Historic Preservation Offices like the Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) and its Certified Local Governments. In Missouri, more than 2,000 listings (more than 35,000 individual resources) are listed in the National Register.
Listing of a property in the National Register is important because it:
- Provides recognition of the property’s significance
- Extends limited protection when the resource is affected by a federally funded action
- Makes the property eligible for federal and state rehabilitation tax credits, and other federal assistance when funds are available
- Establishes a nationally recognized standard for local identification and protection of historic resources
National Register listing is an honor, recognizing that the listed property is a special place. It does not impose restrictions on the use, sale, or maintenance of the property. Listing a property does not require adherence to specific rehabilitation guidelines unless federal funds are used. Properties currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Grandview:
- Harry S. Truman Farm Home (Solomon Young Farm) National Register Nomination
- Grandview Residential Historic District National Register Nomination
HISTORIC PRESERVATION ZONING OVERLAY
The City of Grandview is one of the 58 communities that is part of the Certified Local Government Program (CLG) under Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ State Historic Preservation Office. The program came into existence as a result of the 1980 Congressional amendment to the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. A CLG is a partnership between local, state and federal governments for historic preservation and designed to develop and expand standards for historic preservation and emphasize a city’s historic properties from neighborhoods to ornate buildings.
Properties are nominated for Historic Preservation (HP) Zoning Overlay to provide extra protection from inappropriate alterations and unsympathetic new construction. Properties nominated for the HP Zoning Overlay are not always listed on the National Register of Historic Places (and vice versa); however, they may be nominated for local designation as a Historic Landmark, Historic District or Conservation District. Some of the criteria to evaluate a property or district for a local designation include its character or value as part of the development, heritage or cultural characteristics of the community; its unique location that make it an established or familiar visual feature of the neighborhood or community; and its suitability for preservation or restoration. Contact Staff for additional information regarding HP Zoning Overlay evaluation criteria.
HP Zoning Overlay is “overlaid” on the existing zoning (ex. R-1, single family residential) where the requirements for the existing zoning remain the same, and the HP Zoning Overlay supplements additional requirements. Any property within a HP Zoning Overlay requires a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) for any construction, alteration or demolition to a property before work begins, issuance of any required permit by the City of Grandview, issuance of a conditional use permit, and removal of existing front yard trees.
An HP Zoning Overlay assists property owners to preserve and protect the distinctive characteristics of historic buildings and districts significant to the City of Grandview and improve the streetscape of those buildings and districts. In addition, an HP Zoning Overlay assures new and relocated construction is architecturally compatible with existing buildings in the district.
Certificate of Appropriateness Review
A Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is issued through public meetings by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC). The HPC is comprised of seven (7) members appointed by the Mayor and ratified by the Board of Aldermen. The COA Review process is outlined as:
- Application submitted to Community Development Department
- Application is reviewed by Community Development for completeness
- Application is scheduled for the next HPC Regular Meeting
- The HPC reviews and votes to approve, approve with conditions or deny the application.
- If approved, the COA is issued to the applicant within a few business days.
Design Guidelines are used as a guide for property owners wishing to make improvements to the exterior of the residence or commercial building. Design Guidelines provide guidance and recommends where property owners can make improvements such that the historical and architectural significance of a property is maintained. Below are the City of Grandview’s HP Zoning Overlay area with their Design Guidelines.
RESIDENTIAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
This area of Grandview is historically significant because it represents the first subdivisions of land after the original platting of the Town of Grandview around 1900. This area is architecturally significant because many of the homes were constructed by the Powell Brothers. The house designs were selected from “pattern books”, which are home plans selected from books by the owners. These homes were built in the 1910-1920s and have unique architectural styles such as Late Victorian Queen Anne, Late 19th and Early 20th Century Revival Colonial, Tudor, Mission and Late 19th Century and Early 20th Century American Movement Craftsman/Bungalow.
The Residential Historic District is a Historic Preservation (HP) Zoning Overlay District, and it is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The HP Zoning Overlay for the Residential Historic District was approved by the Board of Aldermen on October 23, 2007, and the approximate boundaries of this HP Zoning Overlay include the properties on the south side of Highgrove Road between 12th Street and Grandview Road, properties on the west side of 10th Street (from just north of Rhodes Avenue to Highgrove Road) and properties on the west side of Grandview Road at Highgrove.
MAIN STREET CONSERVATION DISTRICT
Although, not listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this area of Grandview possesses special historical, architectural or cultural significance as part of the heritage of the City. It encompasses portions of the original town site plat filed by James G. Feland and James W. Jones in December 1889, specifically the portions from the original plat from Fifth Street to Grandview Road. The Davidson Addition, as recorded by Luther and Ardenia Davidson in April 1912, covers one east/west block from Grandview Road to 10th Street. The Lincoln Lane Subdivision, as recorded by Lincoln & Adah Goddard and Robert & Olga Lyons in June 1946, comprises that portion of the District on the north side of Main Street and extends 156 feet east of 10th Street.
Each of the three areas represents a different historical period in Grandview’s evolution. The original town site represents the establishment of Grandview as a railroad-centered community and its additional function as a postal stop along the railway line. The Davidson Addition was built during a period of Grandview’s history when people realized Grandview as a good economic opportunity, marked by many business ventures opening and rapid town growth. The Lincoln Lane Subdivision was built during a period when the Great depression was ending, World War II was ending and Harry S. Truman walked the streets of Grandview as the nation’s president. Commercial and retail activity within the District is very heavily centered along Main Street and the building architecture is representative of this time period, including some alterations of the front façade.
The City of Grandview approved the establishment of a Conservation District along Main Street because certain properties have been found to possess special historical, architectural or cultural significance as part of the heritage of the City, but of lesser significance than a historic district. This Main Street Conservation District was approved by the Board of Aldermen on November 25, 2008. The approximate boundaries of this conservation district include the properties along both sides of Main Street (from 10th Street to 5th Street) between Goode Avenue and Rhodes Avenue.