Vehicle Parking & Storage

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
In an effort to maintain attractive and viable residential neighborhoods, the City of Grandview has established standards for the types of vehicles that can be parked in a residential area and for the locations where parking is permitted. Listed below are some of the major provisions of the city's vehicle use, parking and storage ordinance. Your cooperation will help make Grandview a better place in which to live and work! If you have any questions, please call (816) 316-4817.

Where am I allowed to park my vehicle? Any motor vehicle must be parked on a paved parking area, such as a driveway, or in a garage or carport. Parking on a patio or any hard surface not connected to the driveway is prohibited. While it might be convenient, vehicles are not allowed to park on the grass area or in any area intended for landscaping. This requirement includes not only the front yard, but also the side yard, the rear yard and the grass area between the street and sidewalk. The only exception to this rule is for recreational vehicles that may be stored in the rear or side yard under certain circumstances and on a paved front yard surface with prior approval.

Where can I store my RV, camper, boat or trailer? Grandview allows two of these items to be stored in either the side yard or the rear yard in residential districts. However, it must be located behind the front of the residence (in other words, not in the front yard) and in the case of a corner lot, cannot be located in the side yard adjacent to a street. If the side and rear yard are not accessible, the Neighborhood Services Division may certify a front yard location (at least 10 feet from front property line and 3 feet from side or rear property lines). As long as it is located at an appropriate place on the property, the recreational vehicle, camper, boat or trailer can be stored on gravel, crushed stone, on a paved surface, or similar surface. It is illegal, however, for any automobile, van or pickup truck to be parked or stored on the grass. In addition, you can always store any type of recreational vehicle inside of a garage or at an off-site location such as a self-storage facility or a marina.

Can I park in my driveway while I prepare for a trip? Yes! A recreational vehicle or hauling trailer may be parked on a paved driveway, between the street and a residence limited to no more than 48 hours continuous duration.

Are there limits on what kind of vehicle I can park at my home? In a residential area, parking is generally restricted to passenger cars, passenger vans, pickup trucks or motorcycles primarily designed for the transportation of people.

What should I do if I want to construct additional parking? If additional off-street parking is needed, you have several options. You may be able to expand an existing garage or carport, or add a new garage or carport. In either case, you will need to obtain a building permit from the Building Services Division at City Hall. There are certain requirements for the distance between any new structure and your property lines that must be met before a permit will be issued. Check with the Building Services Division to determine what setback requirements apply to your situation. Another alternative is to expand your current driveway to allow additional room for parking. All driveway expansions must be paved. In addition, all parking and storage must stay at least three feet away from any side or rear property line.

Is there a penalty for violating these regulations? Yes, failure to comply with the parking requirements discussed here, constitutes a violation of the city's zoning ordinance and a ticket can be issued.

What about Inoperable, Abandoned or Illegally parked vehicles? The City of Grandview is committed to maintaining the attractiveness and safety of all residential neighborhoods. In order to help accomplish this goal, the city has adopted regulations concerning the storage and parking of inoperable vehicles and vehicles that are not legally licensed.

What makes a vehicle "inoperable" according to Grandview Municipal Code? There are several things that can make a vehicle inoperable. Examples of an inoperable vehicle include a vehicle that has a flat tire, is missing wheels, is being repaired or does not have a current license or registration.

Is there a time period allowed for making home repairs on my vehicle? No, as long as the repairs, tearing down, junking, or servicing is done by the owner of such vehicle is entirely within the confines of an enclosed building, between the hours of 7:00 AM. and 10:00 PM.

What is an abandoned vehicle? Any vehicle that is parked or stored unattended on the roadways or streets for a period of at least 72 hours. Please alert the Grandview Police Department of abandoned vehicles at (816) 316-4980.

Are there additional parking regulations? In a residential area, parking generally is restricted to passenger cars, passenger vans, pickup trucks or motorcycles, in other words, any vehicle primarily designed for transportation of people. Any vehicle must be parked on a paved parking area, such as a driveway, or carport. Vehicles are not allowed to be parked on the grass or in any area intended for landscaping.

Is there a penalty for having an inoperable, abandoned or improperly parked vehicle? Yes, failure to comply with the city ordinance discussed here, constitutes a violation of the ordinance and a ticket can be issued and the vehicle towed to the city storage lot at the owner's expense.